The debug status is an option that enables/disables access to bootloader and debug menu and resides in IN_START service menu under 'System 1'->'Debug status'. It must be set to: DEBUG or EVENT (default RELEASE) to allow access to bootloader and debug menu. It is highly recommended to enable bootloader access before doing ANY firmware updates regardless of some installed customized firmware. Otherwise it is not possible to fix possible firmware update failures that were already reported by some people with stock LG firmware. In case of such problems tv may get bricked. See Access hidden service menus / modes for details how to enter the IN_START service menu.
These are the possible debug status values:
- RELEASE (default) - access to bootloader and debug mode disabled, serial control commands enabled
- DEBUG - access to bootloader and debug mode enabled, serial control commands disabled
- EVENT - access to bootloader and debug mode enabled, serial control commands enabled
Enable debug status option
With newest firmwares the possibility to switch to debug status 'DEBUG' or 'EVENT' is disabled per default (option is grayed out). The following procedure enables it. You need to switch to POWER_ONLY service mode for this. See Access hidden service menus / modes how to do it. You have to follow the sequence exactly as described here to make it work!
- power on tv with standard remote control
- backup your tv settings to USB via TV link loader option in Installation menu.
- switch to POWER_ONLY mode (See Access hidden service menus / modes how to do it)
- NOTE: tv switches from normal channel view to white background with moving 'Power Only...' window.
- press the following on default LG remote: '1', '2', '2', '8', 'BACK' (Use really BACK and not EXIT here!)
- NOTE: after that tv should switch from white background back to almost normal channel view except that there is a tiny window ('Power Only ...') moving around on top of the screen
- switch to IN_START menu (See Access hidden service menus / modes how to do it) to change the debug status option to 'EVENT'.
- power off/on tv with default remote
- NOTE: Usually after switching to POWER_ONLY mode the 'Energy Saving' function on tv remote is replaced with the so called 'Green Eye Check'. The only way to get back to the normal function is to send IN_STOP code that acts like a factory defaults reset but resets some more as the facory defaults reset from tv menu. See Access hidden service menus / modes how to send that code. Some of the tv configuration will get lost although you saved it via TV link loader before.
- Facory defaults reset from tv menu helps to return to 'Energy Saving' on 42LD640 TV with 4.00.01 Firmware (and possible on other models), but all this method to enable debug status do not work on this firmware and above.
- restore your tv settings from USB via TV link loader option in Installation menu.